Hurrah! After a thirteen month wait (and oodles of paperwork and supporting documentation) we received word today that Akemi’s application for permanent residence status here in Canada has finally been approved! There are still some signatures to be gathered and calls to be made but, for all intents and purposes, she is here to stay. I no longer have to worry that she will get confiscated the next time we travel to Japan.
In celebration, I asked her to list ten things she loves about Canada off the top of her head. She offered the following:
1. Easy-going country.
2. A lot of t.v. shows
3. Weather is milder (not super hot or super cold).
4. Bigger house means she can host a proper home party.
5. Doesn’t need to wear make-up every day like in Japan.
6. Can wear jeans everywhere.
7. Lots of different cuisines because of wide immigration.
8. Can practice English with her Canadian boyfriend.
9. Cheaper than Japan.
10. Restaurants here offer doggy bags, something restaurants in Japan do not.
Anyway, we celebrated the good news in traditional Canadian fashion: by going out for sushi and then coming home to watch the Gordon Ramsay Christmas special.
Thanks to everyone who took the time to leave a comment in support of Akemi here: July 26, 2012: Support Akemi! Leave a comment! We owe you one!
Today’s entry is dedicated to birthday gal Alisa Russell!