I was planning to dedicate today’s blog entry to an explanation of the Japanese term “natsukashii” and the things in my life that make me natsukashii. Unfortunately, I’m incredibly stressed out. It’s late. I’m hungry. And I’m not feeling particularly writey tonight. Fortunately for you, I did my mailbag before leaving the office today, dropping off my rental car, picking up my newly repaired Q7, driving home, getting inside and realizing I’d forgotten my briefcase, in the trunk, of that rental car, getting back into my Q7 and driving all the way back into Burnaby and retrieving my briefcase, driving back home and almost running out of gas. It was that kind of evening.
Anyway, I’m back home and somewhat relaxed. While my salmon roasts, I’ll take a moment to update this blog and let you know I’ve gone to script on episode #16, The Hunt. I’m blazing along and, after two days, have already hit the bottom of page one! At this rate, I’ll be finished well before we get a Day 1 Mix of the finished episode.
Speaking of Day 1 mixes, guess what we watched today? Yes, a Day 1 mix. That’s the easy part. What episode? Correct again. Episode #2, Awakening. You guys are amazing! I just phoned Joel Goldsmith to congratulate him on the wonderful job he did scoring the episode. Congratulations should also go out to director Andy Mikita, the cast and crew, and – oh, boy! – Mark Savela and the VFX team! I repeat. Oh, boy!
Also watched Brad’s cut of episode #12, Twin Destinies today. It’s one of those mindbenders that challenges but leaves you feeling very satisfied. And a tad dizzy.
DP writes: “I used to eat a lot of cholesterol to build up my tolerance while I was young.”
Answer: Oh, so did I. Red meat for lunch and dinner, and nutella-topped powdered doughnuts for breakfast.
Don writes: “SGU does seem to follow in BSG’s footsteps that way as well. Do you believe there is room for more humor in SGU’s future episodes?”
Answer: Like maybe a sassy robot? Well, Eli and, lately, Greer have been the go-to-guys in this respect – although, admittedly, in many instances we avoid the light touch because the scenarios are so grim the humor would feel misplaced.
snakey writes: “You’ve been to Japan sooo many times (yes, you love it) but wouldn’t it be nice to have a change of pace and, let’s say, go down the Amazon or visit the Swiss Alps for example?”
Answer: I’d be thrilled to go dow the Amazon provided I could stay at a hotel with internet access and you could recommend some good restaurants.
Lewis writes: “What’s the fictional timeline on SGU?”
Answer: Lawren keeps an updated timeline of the series, tracking the number of days that have elapsed during and between episodes. Last time I checked, ten months will have passed between Air I (#101) and Resurgence (#210).
Annie from Freemantle writes: “Is that the normal way Pugs sit, or is she sitting that way because of her condition?”
Answer: Nope. That’s Jelly’s patented “I’ve got no cartilege in my hips” sitting position.
Thornyrose writes: “Thanks for the shot of Jelly. I cringed a bit watching her non-movement. I really do hope the treatment works as promised and your grand old dame is able to pick up her activities.”
Answer: Well, we’ll find out in a couple of weeks when she’s scheduled to go in for the treatment. Will keep you all posted.
Thornyrose also writes: “And what’s going on at the office, besides the World Cup pool?”
Answer: Oh, the Wold Cup pool takes precedence over everything else. Still, we manage to get around to other tasks as well: eating lunch, organizing our desks, producing a t.v. show.
anthony writes: “I have a few questions regarding SGU. a) Are we ever going to see Dr Franklin in season 2?
b) Are we ever going to get to see Young and Rush play chess against each other with that chess game Rush was making?
c) I was just re-watching sabotage and noticed that when the aliens came to attack, it seemed to me that they came from the wrong direction. Just something that I noticed.
d) Is there any chance that the blue aliens will ever return? I know the cg is expensive to make for those guys, but I feel as though you guys didn’t do enough to give us more info on the aliens. You guys seem to be going the direction of voyager’s aliens where they show up for a few episodes then you move on to the next set of aliens.
e) One thing that would be funny for you guys to do would be a USO show episode. Hey, these guys on the destiny could use a Bob Hope type thing. Finally,
f) are you guys going to give us a good season 2.0 trailer anytime soon like you did with 1.0 and 1.5. The teaser at the end of incursion pt2 just wasn’t enough.”
Answers: a) Possibly.
b) I think we will – eventually – but they have a ways to go before they sit down to that friendly match.
c) I think one of the males was driving and was too embarrassed to stop and ask for directions so their ship ended up overshooting Destiny’s position, forcing them to back track.
d) Oh, possibly. But if they did, it would be a special case. Since Destiny is always moving forward, it doesn’t make sense for the crew to encounter familiar faces – unless they were being pursued.
e) We’ll file that one away for “a very special espisode”.
f) One is already in the works, but you’ll have to wait for Comic Con to see it.
Valaur writes: “1. Will the rest of the crew finally realize the potential of Destiny and work alongside Rush? It seems to me that from the beginning Rush knew it would be a long shot to get home once he saw the data, but why is everyone so desperate to leave?
2. For the first half of Season 1, I’ll admit I was a Chloe hater. But as the season developed and the characters came together, Chloe became a hell of alot more appealing to me. She’s doing what she can to make herself useful to the crew, becoming the next ‘Daniel Jackson.’ Will we finally see the crew of the Destiny come together and be a part of a unified group like Atlantis and the SGC?
3. Any new cool rooms of the Destiny that you can’t wait to see in full VFX? A CIC, perhaps? Engine room? The origins of the Zat?
4. What looks like a command structure, similar to an aircraft carrier island tower, looks remotely like a pyramid. Did the Goa’uld find a prototype of the Destiny or perhaps a later model of a similar design which gave us the Ha’Tak? I know the Goa’uld stole technology and primarily used the tech of the Ancients. Is the Ha’Tak a result of this?
5. Why are Space and SyFy not promoting the Kino episodes, let alone not airing them immediately before or after the airing of a new episode to give us a better context?
6. How would you handle the various marketing and advertising tasks to keep SGU afloat? Would it be any different than SyFy/SPACE?”
Answers: 1. They’ll certainly be headed in that direction next season. As for why they’d be desperate to leave – because they’re trapped and isolated billions of light years from home and miss interacting with their loved ones in any kind of meaningful way.
2. Again, that’s what certain elements will strive toward in season 2: unity looking forward.
3. A couple of kick-ass new sets await in season two. One will be introduced early, one much later, but both will wow. As for VFX shots – Mark Savela and co. are still in the process of working on them, but I’m really looking forward to seeing the finished visuals for Awakening. Hopefully you’ll get a sneak peek at Comic Con.
4. Unlikely but, hey, it’s possible.
5. Sorry, I can’t answer that one. It’s a network/studio call.
6. I think that MGM, Space, and SyFy put together some great promos last season and I’m sure they’ll do an equally terrific job in season two. If I was in their place, I’d promote the hell out of the series, whenever and wherever. Of course – a) I’m biased and b) It’s not my money I’m spending.
Shirt ‘n Tie writes: “Any more movement on the Comic launch?”
Answer: The contracts were signed late last week. Next up – our preliminary discussion on the creative.
Trutch writes: “1. How do you respond to fans who think that including SGA characters in season two is a desperate ratings grab?”
Answer: If that were the case, we would have had them guesting somewhere in the first ten episodes given that those ratings will decide whether or not we get a third season pick-up. By the time the episode you’re referring to airs, our fate will have already been decided.
Trutch also writes: “2. Can we expect an announcement about the movies or even an update at Comic Con?”
Answer: Don’t get your hopes up. I guarantee there will be no announcement or update with regard to either movie at Comic Con.